Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Coaching U12 Soccer

"Make no mistake, as you change your leadership style to one of a coach you will face challenges. There will be times when you question why am I doing this. However, you must at all times keep the long term benefits of being a coach at the forefront of your mind."
Byron & Catherine Pulsifer, from Challenges in Adopting a Coaching Style
I received an email last night from Frank one of the Saugus Youth Soccer Association (SYSA) Board members asking if I would be interested in coaching my daughter Sabrina's U-12 team (!). I REALLY was not expecting this because I really thought that Sabrina would be picked for either the Division A or Division B Travel Teams.
Although I have coached her team two years ago - I would NOT consider myself a know how of the soccer sport - I never played it growing up. I was also the SYSA Equipment Manager for the entire town of Saugus!
I asked Sabrina if she wanted me to coach her new team and she said - "YES MOM" "DO IT" YOU MAKE IT SO FUN"! OK Sabrina WANTS me to coach - well then I will coach.
Today I emailed Andy back and agree to be her coach and asked if I could change the name name (I will let Sabrina pick it - last time she picked THE CHEETAHS.
Andy thanked for "stepping up". And since I have been in Toastmasters I have found that stepping up to leadership roles is as equally important as stepping up to speaking opportunities!
So add this to my arsenal of duties - "Coach Sherri"!!
"Kids don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care."
unknown
Has YOUR local town or surrounding comminity ever called upon YOU to "step up" and to take on a leadership role? There are MANY leadership opportunities - coach a sport, join the PTO/PTA Board, assist with a church function, charity or fund raiser event. And you don;t even have to wait to be asked...
-------
FACTS
Soccer
A game played on a rectangular field with net goals at either end in which two teams of 11 players each try to drive a ball into the other's goal by kicking, heading, or using any part of the body except the arms and hands. The goalie is the only player who may touch or move the ball with the arms or hands.
Coach
Definitions of coach on the Web:
In sports, a coach or manager is an individual involved in the direction, instruction and training of the operations of a sports team or of individual sportspeople. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coach (sport)

* (sports) someone in charge of training an athlete or a team
* a person who gives private instruction (as in singing, acting, etc.)
* passenger car: a railcar where passengers ride
* teach and supervise (someone); act as a trainer or coach (to), as in sports; "He is training our * * Olympic team"; "She is coaching the crew"
* a carriage pulled by four horses with one driver
* drive a coach
* bus: a vehicle carrying many passengers; used for public transport; "he always rode the bus to work" wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

No comments: