Monday, August 25, 2008

Unexpected News

“You have to take risks. We will only understand the miracle of life fully when we allow the unexpected to happen”. Paulo Coelho

Today I received some “unexpected news” and I was not really prepared for it. Although, I had been aware that some of our hours where I work were being cut. I really did think that MY HOURS were being cut. I just got back from Calgary and found out that I am still employed but I won’t be able to swing my car loan, Sabrina’s school loan, rent and whole bunch of other bills and other unexpected expenses that creep upon me each month.

Last week my friend Sheila shared that her paycheck was being cut by 30% and a month ago my good friend Debbie told me that “out of the blue” she was being layed off. I was thinking about how lucky I was to not be in their shoes.

But I am now…

I got that hurt feeling I get when I hear bad or sad news and of coursed I cried a little but then I smiled and said to myself (or out loud) – “WHAT AM I WAITING FOR”? I really want to start my own public speaking business. So what is stopping me? Why don’t I just take the plunge? Isn’t it time for me to just “TAKE THE NEXT STEP” and “CREATE MY OWN DESTINY”?

When YOU get “unexpected news” – what do YOU do to create a solution or take a new path?


---

FACTS

Unexpected

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&defl=en&q=define:unexpected&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

not expected or anticipated; "unexpected guests"; "unexpected news"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

• not expected, anticipated or foreseen

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/unexpected

• Involuntary, painful shortening of muscles. Usually, a knotting of the muscles is visible.

cms.clevelandclinic.org/neuroscience/body.cfm

• Any adverse experience, the nature, severity or frequency of which is not consistent with the current investigator brochure; or with the risk ...

research.seattlechildrens.org/assets/docs/irb/forms/adverse_event_forms/AE_reporting_guidelines.doc

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!

I'm a big fan of Paulo Coelho! You will love this! He's the first best-selling
author to be distributing for free his works on his blog:
www.paulocoelhoblog.com


Have a nice day!

Aart

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Your attitude. Not the news.

Ultimately, we cannot control the events around us. We can influence them. We can "persuade" them to work in our favor. But in the end... mistakes, accidents, and chaos can throw every plan astray. When we lose all control, we can still control our attitude and our outlook on the future. It is the only thing we can control.

I do not have the source (I am researching it) but I once read about imagining what we would feel like, if we always assumed that people intended well. So imagine what our lives would be like, if we always assumed that life would work out well or to our benefit. Imagine is we always looked for the opportunity.

Anonymous said...

Sherri,
I like your response to the "unexpected news". While others might respond with despair, you see it as a "jumping-off point" for a career which obviously attracts you.

Keep the current job while you test the new waters, burn no bridges ... I'm thinking of you.
John R.