Monday, June 23, 2008

Camp Christopher

It is always the simple things that change our lives. And these things never happen when you are looking for them to happen. Life will reveal answers at the pace life wishes to do so. You feel like running, but life is on a stroll. This is how God does things.” Donald Miller


Today Sabrina started back at Camp Christopher an incredible day camp in Danvers, Massachusetts on the St. Johns Prep High School Campus. She has been attending since she was five-years-old and is now 10-years-old. She stands about four feet and 11 inches. I am five feet two inches. When I dropped her off she was nervous, afraid she wouldn’t “know anyone” but the same counselors and some of the same campers are there each year. That is an important factor that she has consistency like she does at St. Pius V. School where she has been attending since Kindergarten and will be entering the fifth grade in the fall.

That fact that she was a little nervous before I left her made it a little tough to leave her but what strikes me is that she will be flying on a plane (alone) and meeting me in Washington in August and has no anxieties about it – but this seemed to be a bit of an adjustment. I can understand it because it is a lot like the fear of public speaking for many people, who are afraid to get up and speak in front of people. But once they start and the more they do it - the better they get at it. So for the fifth year in a row - I hope she is getting the hang of it!

When I arrived to pick Sabrina up from camp – Mr. Joe – who runs the camp was making announcements and sending children to their proper buses and dismissing the others to their parents.

Sabrina saw me and suddenly she came running from across the gym to meet me. It was a moment that can’t be duplicated too often but the idea that my 10-year-old daughter still gets excited to see her MOM (that’s me) was a little parenting gift that I wasn’t expecting to arrive but when it does I know it is a "special delivery"!

As a Parent - DO YOU CATCH those "Unexpected Parenting Gifts"?
The little glances? The reaching up and holding hands? The pats on your shoulder, The surprise I LOVE YOUS? The hugs from behind or a tug on your leg?

BE READY FOR THEM and enjoy them NOW - someday they;ll be meant for someone else!!

No comments: