Monday, November 16, 2009

The Summons - John Grisham

"My success was not planned, but it could only happen in America."
John Grisham, Lawyer, Writer
“I was never a bookworm. I remember reading Dr. Seuss, the Hardy Boys, Emil and the Detectives, Chip Hilton, and lots of Mark Twain and Dickens. My athletic ability did nothing but invite taunts. I was an indifferent student and an athlete with delusions of adequacy, dreams of adulation.” John Grisham. Author, Lawyer http://www.jgrisham.com/


One of my FAVORITE authors is John Grisham and admittedly I was about seven books behind on my reading! I just finished readin The Summons from 2002! Well this one left many questions unanswered but that is how JG writes - leaving the reader in suspense! I like that!

A few years ago I started reading The Testiment (1999) butit had so many different characters that I was not able to keep up the way I normally do with his books. I AM planning on finishing it at some point. Actually I will have to reread what I have already read.

Last night I went to my local public libray and bought Bleachers (2003) and I will begin reading it this week.

I am excited to get back into my JG reading. I love the suspense, the law, the action and the chase.

Share what books YOU Read that keep you wanting to read more!

-----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Grisham

John Ray Grisham (born February 8, 1955) is an American author, best known for his popular legal thrillers. Before becoming a writer, he was a successful lawyer and politician. As of 2008, his books have sold over 250 million copies worldwide.[1]

Biography and career
John Grisham, the second oldest of five siblings, was born in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to Southern Baptist parents of modest means. His father worked as a construction worker and a cotton farmer while his mother was a homemaker.[2] After relocating frequently, the family settled in 1967 in the town of Southaven in DeSoto County, Mississippi, where Grisham graduated from Southaven High School. He played as a quarterback for the school football team. Encouraged by his mother, the young Grisham was an avid reader, and was especially influenced by the work of John Steinbeck, whose clarity he admired. His brother Vaughn is one of the nation's main experts on Community Development and is a professor of Public Administration at the University of Mississippi


During 1977, Grisham received a Bachelor of Science degree in accounting from Mississippi State University. Grisham tried for the baseball team at Delta State University, but was dismissed by the coach, who was former Boston Red Sox pitcher Dave "Boo" Ferriss. Grisham and Ferris have since teamed to host a fundraiser for Delta State Baseball, at which the two discussed how and why Ferris dismissed Grisham, telling him he should "stick to the books" after Grisham failed miserably in his attempts to hit a college level curve ball. He earned his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Mississippi School of Law in 1981. During law school Grisham switched interests from tax law to criminal and general civil litigation. Upon graduation he entered a small-town general law practice for nearly a decade in Southaven, where he focused on criminal law and civil law representing a broad spectrum of clients. As a young attorney he spent much of his time in court proceedings.


Grisham describes himself as a "moderate Baptist," and has performed mission service for his church in Brazil; that country provides the setting for two of his novels: The Testament, which has a strong religious theme; and The Partner. He lives with his wife Renée Jones and their two children, Ty and Shea. Grisham's website states that the "family splits their time between their Victorian home on a farm" outside Oxford, Mississippi, "and a home near Charlottesville, Virginia."[3] In 2008, he and Renee bought a condo in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.[13]

Read More About John Grisham
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Grisham




http://www.spout.com/players/John_Grisham/P___166848/default.aspx

http://www.mswritersandmusicians.com/writers/john-grisham.html

================
Books By John Grisham

Non-legal fiction
A Painted House (2001)
Skipping Christmas (2001)
Bleachers (2003)
Playing for Pizza (2007)
Ford County (2009

No comments: