Friday, August 8, 2008

The President's Club

"The most important trip you may take in life is meeting people halfway" Henry Boye

Well, one thing I can say about Toastmasters is that it is helping me learn how to TRAVEL and there is a LOT to know about TRAVELING!! Beginning with learning about my own little state of Massachusetts and finding cities and towns that I have never even heard of! But I am not only learning how to read a map or following connecting routes on the automobile road, in addition I am also learning how to travel on airplanes taking trips outside of my own state.

There are many things to consider when you are going to travel. Let’s begin with booking the flight. HMMM – so far I think the price is what I consider when flying. I had a flight booked with Continental Airlines leaving this morning August 8, 2008 at 7:00AM flight to Houston Texas and a connecting flight from Houston to Calgary for 11:00 am.

Now just because I have this flight booked and paid for does NOT absolutely guarantee that I will board the flight, land and connect at those times. OUCH ! not again – My flight to Houston was delayed an hour due to the rain. I left Logan International in Boston at about 8:45 AM landed in Houston at 11: 25 am and my connecting flight had already departed! GREAT - soooo the next connecting flight wasn;t leaving until 6:00PM which means I may (or may not depending on what happens) get into Calgary at about 10:00PM – west coast time.

What do YOU do when your flight is delayed for – in my case six hours? Or What if YOUR flight is cancelled?

Well this is what I did – I called the 2007 WCPS, Vikas Jhingran who now lives here in Houston on the chance that he would be able to show me the sites. Although he was at work – we spent a few minutes catching up – which was great – he shares he and Anjali are looking into buying a house and welcomed me to stay some time (SURE WILL). He said he created a CD of his three winning speeches and would like to bring them to the Toastmasters International Convention to SELL (WAY TO GO!!) and he asked me my advice about how to sell at the back of the room! (He asked me! Friends I haven’t sold any products yet – but this IS something I will be focusing on this year – just like completing my www.findyourplatform.com website). I suggested that he connect with Darren LaCroix and I also promised to ask his question at the Get Paid to Speak Champ Camp I am attending this weekend in Calgary.

The next thing I did was ask an airline staff about the “business center” so I could use the wireless and catch up on the MANY emails that I accumulate during the day. She was very pleasant and said – "OH that can be expensive – why don’t you do what I see many others do – go to the President’s Club". I said, "President’s Club? What is that" ? She said, "It is a private members only club – but that I could sit outside the area and connect onto the wireless for free". Perfect!

AND THAT is exactly what I did for the next few hours. BUT before I did that – I just had to see THE PRESIDENT’S CLUB and I got a tour – WOW – What an eye opener. If you have never been – you must at least visit it – If I were a frequent traveler – I would not hesitate to join THE PRESIDENT’S CLUB and maybe one day I will!! But please note that even though you may get a connection – there is no guarantee that you won’t get bumped off (like I did a few times!).


And for those of you who are like me and are new to traveling and never heard of The President’s Club Lounge - let me share this link

http://www.continental.com/web/en-us/content/Travel/airport/lounge/default.aspx

“Continental's Presidents Club offers the busy traveler personalized service and a relaxing oasis in 27 private airport clubrooms. The comfort and privacy of these clubrooms allow you to take care of business, conduct a meeting, make phone calls or just relax between flights in pleasant surroundings”.

“As a Presidents Club member, you may entertain two friends or business associates, or your immediate family (spouse and children under 21 years of age), any time you visit a Presidents Club. Members also have access to over 40 affiliated lounges worldwide”.

“BusinessFirst and International Business Class customers are also welcome to visit the Presidents Club*. A same-day BusinessFirst or International Business Class boarding pass is required for admission. BusinessFirst customers can also bring up to two guests, or a spouse and children under the age of 21. Domestic First Class customers do not qualify for admission”. * Must be at least 21 year of age.


=========

OH and timing was also on my side - I was able to listen to the Talking Toastmasters hosts Bo Bennett and Ryan Levesque as they interviewed Rich Hopkins about his journey to the International Speech Contest Stage. Have a live listen.

http://www.igroops.com/igroops/publicspeaking/blog/VIEW+00000012+00000195


I will post more about my trip – I am just getting started and I am not even in CALGARY YET!!

---------

FACTS –

Guarantee

http://www.answers.com/topic/guarantee
1. Something that assures a particular outcome or condition: Lack of interest is a guarantee of failure.
2.
a. A promise or an assurance, especially one given in writing, that attests to the quality or durability of a product or service.
b. A pledge that something will be performed in a specified manner.
3.
a. A guaranty by which one person assumes responsibility for paying another's debts or fulfilling another's responsibilities.
b. A guaranty for the execution, completion, or existence of something.
4. A guarantor.
tr.v., -teed, -tee•ing, -tees.

No comments: