Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Farewell PDG, Dr. Bettye Underhill, DTM




Photo: D31 LGM, Bil Lewis, DTM, son of D31, DPG, Dr. Bettye Underhill, DTM, D31, PDG, Charlie Keane, DTM

"May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, may God hold you in the hollow of his hand". Irish Blessing

I got the call yesterday from Bil Lewis my friend who is currently serving as the District 31 Lt. Governor of Education & Training that his Mother our District 31 First Female Governor, PDG, Dr. Bettye Underhill, DTM passed on. I cried and asked if he would be willing to pay a tribute at our Spring 2009 Conference on Saturday May 9, 2009. We are already paying tribute to PDG, Charlie Keane, DTM who passed away this year as well. Charlie and Bettye were good friends and if they only realized that each passed just months from one another - that is almost remarkable.

I met Bettye at our Fall 2007 Conference when I was serving as the Lt. Governor of Marketing because I had invited her to attend our Conference at the request of the 2007-2008 District Governor, Cherylle Garnes, DTM. We planned on having Bettye present Bil, her son with his DTM - Distinguished Toastmasters Medal. I also had a Boston State House Citation made for Bettye from my State Representative Mark Falzone.
Bettye was an excellent addition to our D31 Conference especially since she paved the way as a First Female District Governor in District 31 which covers Eastern Massachusetts and the entire state of Rhode Island. On Saturday May 9, 2009 I am also running for the District 31 Governors seat. I know I have your blessing Bettye and YOU have mine!

-----

Please note this message was written on February 15, 2009 is from the District 31 Lt. Governor of Marketing, Bil Lewis - son of Bettye Underhill, District 31 Governor, 1982-83.

My mother, who loved Toastmasters and this district above everything, is fading. They are telling me that she probably has 2-10 weeks left. She was always so proud of district 31 and never ceased to give me good advice. It was she who got me into Toastmasters back in graduate school. Many of you met her when she came out in '07 to present me with my DTM--a highlight of both her life and mine.

She was overjoyed when I decided to run for district office and filled me with campaigning secrets. She was the consummate Toastmaster
.

Mom was first and foremost an educator. She was head of the Early ChildhoodEducation Department that Santa Ana College in Southern California andremained close to education ever since, serving on boards and directing programs.

All of her children followed in her footsteps in some fashion. My sister teaches High School Chemistry, my 1/2 brother teaches religion, I have taught all grades through graduate school, and my brother teaches horsemanship. We are who we are because of her.

I just spoke to mom. She's awake and lucid. She's largely bed-ridden, but is gladly accepting calls. If you'd like to give her a ring, I'm sure she'd appreciate it. Drop me a line and I'll give you her number. 617-501-3692-Bil Lewis, DTMD31 2008-2009 LGMbil@lambdacs.com

This is Bil's Contact information to send any condolences or just say HELLO!

D31 LGM, Bil Lewis, DTM
268 Harvard Street #2
Cambridge, MA 02139
617-501-3692
bil@lambdacs.com

------
FAREWELL

http://www.dictionary.net/farewell
Farewell \Fare`well"\, interj. [Fare (thou, you) + well.]

Go well; good-by; adieu; -- originally applied to a person departing, but by custom now applied both to those who depart and those who remain. It is often separated by the pronoun; as, fare you well; and is sometimes used as an expression of separation only; as, farewell the year; farewell, ye sweet groves; that is, I bid you farewell.

1. A wish of happiness or welfare at parting; the parting compliment; a good-by; adieu.
2. Act of departure; leave-taking; a last look at, or reference to something.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

No comments: