Monday, June 29, 2009

In Memory of Michael Jackon - Part II


Last nite I watched The Jacksons: An American Dream (1992) on television. I think my favorite part or most memorable part was when Berry Gordy pointed out to Michael that "Songs are stories" - when "YOU SING A SONG - YOU ARE TELLING A STORY"! As a Toastmaster I am taught that when I give a speech - I should share a personal story.

Michael was an amazing artist that could tell MANY STORIES thru his voice, music, performances, costumes, props - he had the WHOLE package. I bet he had more music to share - more stories to tell.

I have been reminded of his music these past several days while driving in my colbalt blue Aveo with the FM radio on. The list of Michael Jackson's hit songs are continuous as the Boston stations replay them over and over. I must admit I really do like most in fact perhaps ALL of the songs/stories that I have heard him sing.

His songs/stories are told in ways that have changed the course of the music industry. Michaels songs/stories are a timeline to my journey from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000's.

There are so many view points on MJ - but for me - I guess I want to remember you for your gifts that you shared with us - YOUR songs/stories YOU told us - especially the ones that make me laugh, cry, sing and dance and smile.

I want to thank you for touching my heart, lifting me up and entertaining me. In Memory of Michael Jackson - God Speed!




Berry Gordy - Founder of Motown - Copyright 2009 Kevin Winter / Getty Images

Berry Gordy on Michael Jackson: 'He Was Like My Son'

Motown founder Berry Gordy opens up to ET about the loss of Michael Jackson, and shares his fond memories about the legendary King of Pop.

"I had no concern about his ability to go to the top," Gordy says. "He was like my son. He had warmth, sensitivity and two personalities."

"Michael was and will remain one of the greatest entertainers that ever lived," Gordy tells ET. "When he was not on stage, he was loving, respectful and shy. When he WAS on stage, he was so in charge you would not believe he was the same person. I extend my sympathies to Joe, Katherine and the entire Jackson family. My prayers are with them."
Michael Jackson with his baby Prince Michael Jackson


The Jackson Five on Sonny & Cher








NEVERLAND RANCH - California
-------------

Berry Gordy - Founder of Motown

The founder of Motown Records, Berry Gordy did what many people of his time believed could never be done: he brought Black music into millions of White Americans' homes, helping both Black artists and their culture gain acceptance, and opening the door for a multitude of sucessful Black record executives and producers.


Though the music of Motown was not as raw or edgy as other R&B labels, such as Chess and Stax, the songs that were written, produced, and released from "Hitsville USA" comprise some of the most enduring, sophisticated and popular music of our time. Influential artists such as Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, Michael Jackson and Smokey Robinson were all discovered and their talents fostered by Berry Gordy. Motown groups like the Four Tops, the Supremes and the Temptations are regarded as some of the best vocal groups ever to record. Even now, years after Gordy sold the company, the reputation of excellence he forged at Motown continues to stay with the famous label.

No comments: